Serve this Tex-Mex soup with homemade half-whole-wheat flour tortillas, shredded reduced-fat Cheddar or Jack cheese, and a dollop of fat-free sour cream, if desired. Make this meatless by using a tofu or soy product in place of the ground sirloin.
- 1 pound ground sirloin (around 6%-9% fat), or ground turkey with around 6% fat
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 16-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2 14.5-ounce cans peeled and diced tomatoes
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chilies (buy mild, if you prefer)
- 1 ounce packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup shredded, reduced-fat cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
Preparation:1. In a medium skillet, cook the ground beef or turkey over medium heat until browned. Drain, and set aside.
2. Place the ground meat, onion, chili beans, kidney beans, corn, tomato sauce, water, diced tomatoes, green chile peppers, and taco seasoning mix in a slow cooker. Mix to blend, and cook on Low setting for 8 hours.
3. Ladle into individual serving bowls, and top each with 1/8 cup shredded cheese and a tablespoon of fat-free sour cream. Serve with homemade flour tortillas.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutritional Information:Per serving: 288 calories, 20 g protein, 37 g carbohydrate, 7 g fat, 2.7 g saturated fat, 24 mg cholesterol, 10 g fiber, 730 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 22%.
Turkey Fettuccini Alfredo RecipeWebMD Recipe from the WebMD Weight Loss Clinic
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups roasted turkey breast, cut into strips (skinless)
- 1/4 cup light cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free half-and-half or whole milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon Wondra quick-mixing flour
- 1 tablespoon butter (or no/low-trans fat margarine)
- 3 cups hot cooked and drained spaghetti or fettuccine noodles
- Salt and freshly grated pepper to taste
- Pinch or two of nutmeg (add more to taste if desired)
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (add more at the table if desired)
Preparation:1. Boil fettuccine noodles.
2. Combine cream cheese, 1/4-cup fat-free half-and-half, and flour in a small mixing bowl or food processor. Beat or pulse until well blended. Slowly pour in remaining half-and-half or milk and beat until smooth.
3. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large, nonstick frying pan or saucepan over medium heat. Add the milk mixture and continue to heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce is just the right thickness (about 3-4 minutes). Turn the heat to low and add the hot noodles and turkey strips. Toss to coat noodles and turkey well with sauce. Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste if desired. Stir in grated Parmesan and serve.