- 4 slices whole-wheat bread
- 2 teaspoons less-fat margarine (with 8 grams of fat per tablespoon)
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced (or shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese, Jarlsberg Lite, or part-skim mozzarella)
- 1 medium vine-ripened tomato, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground pepper
- Salt to taste (if desired)
- About 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- Begin heating a nonstick griddle pan (or similar) over medium heat. Coat one side of all 4 slices with the less-fat margarine.
- Place two bread slices, buttered side down, on griddle. Top with cheese, then sliced tomato, pepper (and salt if desired), and fresh basil leaves. Top with the remaining two bread slices (buttered side up).
- When bottom side is golden (2-3 minutes), flip sandwiches over and grill until other side until golden (2-3 minutes). Cut each sandwich diagonally and serve.
Nutritional Information:Per sandwich: 323 calories, 19 g protein, 37 g carbohydrate, 12 g fat (5.5 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 5.2 g fiber, 615 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 33%.
Edited on April 17, 2006
© 2006 Elaine Magee